Get a Club Permit

The information below explains the steps you need to follow for your vehicle to be issued with a Club Permit.

To be eligible to get a Club Permit you must be a member of a VicRoads approved vehicle club or association. 

Note: If a company or incorporated association are recorded as the Permit Holder confirmation of club membership must be made out to the name of the company/incorporated association. It cannot be made out to an individual name, i.e. name of representative or company director.

A Club Permit can be issued to the vehicles in the following categories:

  • veteran vehicles – manufactured before 1 January 1919
  • vintage vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1918 and before 1 January 1931
  • classic and historic vehicles – manufactured after 31 December 1930, but more than 25 years before the date of the application for a Club Permit.

These categories can include trailers, heavy vehicles and modified vehicles such as street rods. Replicas of vehicles eligible for the above categories may also be issued with a Club Permit. Replica vehicles will be issued a club permit under the classic and historic vehicles category irrespective of the vehicle being replicated.

A replica means a light motor vehicle that is an individually constructed vehicle that resembles, as close as practicable, the appearance and dimensions of the production vehicle on which its design is based.

A Club Permit vehicle must comply with the Vehicle Standards, appropriate to the date the vehicle was manufactured, contained in Schedule 2 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2021.

If the vehicle is imported and has been issued a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) by the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and Arts, the VIN must be stamped on the vehicle. Visit Register an imported vehicle for more information.

A Club Permit cannot be issued to:

  • a currently registered vehicle
  • a vehicle that is recorded on the Victorian or an interstate Written-off Vehicles Register as a statutory write-off
  • a vehicle that has a Fines Victoria or hoon sanction
  • a vehicle that is recorded as stolen

We may refuse to issue a Club Permit:

  • if it is not satisfied that the vehicle is safe to use on a road or road related area or
  • if a current Club Permit already exists for the same vehicle

Checking the vehicle's safety

To assist clubs with inspecting vehicles and determining whether they are safe for use on the road, we have developed a guideline vehicle safety inspection checklist [PDF 560 Kb].

Please note that this checklist is for guidance only and should be used at the club's discretion; it does not replace the requirement for the Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form or any requirement for a certificate of roadworthiness.

Calculating the vehicle's manufacture date

  • if your vehicle is recorded on the Register of Approved Vehicles, the RAV build date
  • if your vehicle is fitted with an Australian compliance plate, the plate date is the date of manufacture
  • if your vehicle is fitted with an import compliance plate or has no compliance plate, the date of manufacture is determined by a manufacturer's build plate, a chassis number or documentary evidence from the manufacturer's records
  • if your vehicle does not meet any of the above requirements, we may determine the manufacture date based on information sourced from our registration database, historical data, or evidence from our vehicle safety and compliance expert

Please note: The day of manufacture cannot be established, therefore the day of manufacture is assumed to be the last day of the month.

Do you need a certificate of roadworthiness?

A certificate of roadworthiness is required for all club permit vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1949, except street rod vehicles, light trailers and plant based special purpose vehicles (e.g. tractor).

Get a certificate of roadworthiness at a roadworthy tester.

It is optional for vehicles manufactured on or before 31 December 1948 to get a certificate of roadworthiness. The club scrutineer/official may inspect and declare the vehicle to be safe to use on the road.

Do you need a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) approval certificate?

You'll need to get a Vehicles Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) approval certificate when the vehicle:

  • is modified outside what is permitted in the vehicle standards or the guidelines as specified below
  • is a replica that has not previously been registered or issued with a club permit
  • is a Street Rod – never previously registered in Australia or permitted as a street rod in Victoria
  • wasn't originally produced for the Australian market (no compliance plate and/or previous Australian registration history) and was manufactured after 31 December 1968 (for motorcycles 30 June 1975)

Note: If a VASS Club Permit approval certificate has been provided for any modifications previously (where required) and no additional modifications have been made, a new certificate isn't required for the vehicle to remain on the Club Permit scheme.

Find out how to get a VASS approval certificate.

Is the vehicle a street rod?

If the vehicle is a street rod you will also require an Australian Street Rod Federation (ASRF) inspection report signed by an authorised representative/signatory of the ASRF.

A vehicle that has previously been issued an interstate Street Rod permit will require a current VASS approval certificate.

Note: You may still get a club permit for a street rod without the ASRF inspection report but you will not be issued street rod number plates.

Once you have the certificates, you will need to complete the following forms and get them approved by your club:

Vehicle eligibility and standards declaration for Club Permit vehicles form

  • this form must be signed by an approved office bearer from your club declaring the vehicle is safe for use on the road and meets relevant vehicle standards requirements
  • for vehicles manufactured after 31 December 1948, the approved office bearer can only sign this form if the Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC) is current and valid (within 30 days). If the RWC is more than 30 days old, then a new RWC is required
  • you must provide the original document to us with the Club Permit application

Club Permit application form

The Club Permit application form must be signed by:

  • you (the applicant)
  • an approved office bearer of the approved vehicle club, indicating that you are a member of the vehicle club or association
  • for street rod applicants wishing to obtain 'SR' plates, the Club Permit application must also be endorsed by an authorised representative of the Australian Street Rod Federation

The Club Permit application must be signed and dated and received within 30 days of the declaration date on the Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form, or the Club Permit application will be rejected by us, and a new Club Permit application will be required.

Documents that you need to submit with your application

  • your evidence of identity for the Club Permit holder and if applicable, for your authorised agent 
  • if the Club Permit holder will be a company or incorporated association a completed authority to act as an agent form - visit register on behalf of someone else for more information
  • original completed Club Permit application form
  • original completed Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration for Club Permit Vehicles form
  • an original certificate of roadworthiness (for vehicles manufactured after 1948, it is optional for pre-1949 manufactured vehicles)
  • evidence the vehicle was manufactured for the Australian market (e.g. photo of the Australian compliance plate or build plate fitted to the vehicle) or previous Australian registration history (eg, Australian registration number). 
  • payment of fees including TAC, registration, number plate and log book fees
  • an original VASS approval certificate (if applicable, refer to the above section Step 3: Check what certificates you need for more details)

Note: All documents must be original as certified copies or fax are not accepted.

Submitting Club Permit applications

To submit your application visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre (pay by VISA, Mastercard*, cheque, EFTPOS or cash)

Note: If the vehicle is still registered interstate the plates must be returned to VicRoads. If the plates cannot be returned, contact the interstate authority to update their system. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

* A card payment fee (External link) applies

Classic and historic vehicles and modified vehicle applicants
At the Customer Service Centre you'll be issued a Club Permit on the spot and get the number plates, log book, Club Permit certificate and labels.
Street rod, veteran and vintage vehicles applicants

You can submit your street rod, veteran or vintage Club Permit by either:

  • visiting a VicRoads Customer Service Centre (your Club Permit will not be issued on the spot)
  • mailing it, along with your payment (cheque only) to: VicRoads Registration Services GPO Box 1644, Melbourne, VIC 3001 (for Victorian licence or learner permit holders only)

At the Customer Service Centre, your documents and evidence of identity will be checked and your payment taken.

When your application has been accepted and approved, we will send you paperwork. You will need to:

  • attach the Club Permit certificate to the inside cover of your logbook
  • attach the windscreen label to the vehicle to assist in identifying vehicles operating with a current permit
  • affix the allocated Club Permit number plates to your vehicle
  • follow the conditions of use for Club Permit vehicles

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).