Buy and transfer a registered vehicle

When you buy or receive as a gift a second hand Victorian registered vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, caravan or trailer) that will be garaged in Victoria, you must notify VicRoads of the vehicle transfer within 14 days of taking possession of the vehicle.

You will need to submit the following items for a transfer to be completed:

Some vehicle and transfer types don’t need a roadworthy or require payment of motor vehicle duty or transfer fees. Visit vehicle exemptions for more information.

Watch this video to find out the steps to buy a registered vehicle:

The vehicle transfer form [PDF 678 Kb] has been created as a guide to assist you through your vehicle purchase. This form is suitable for the transfer of cars, trucks, motorcycles, caravans and trailers. 

VicRoads recommends that you refer to the pre-transfer checklist on the form and complete all the steps to ensure your transfer goes smoothly.

Check the vehicle registration status

Check that the Victorian registration is current (i.e. is not suspended or cancelled) and that the vehicle is not subject to any sanctions that will prevent the registration transfer by completing a registration check.

You should also check that there’s no money owing on the vehicle, it's not reported stolen or recorded as written-off by visiting the Personal Property Security Register (PPSR)  or by calling 1300 007 777.

Ensure you’ve got a VicRoads customer number 

A VicRoads customer number is a unique number issued by VicRoads to individuals or companies. This number is needed to complete the transfer form.

For individuals

Your VicRoads customer number is your learner permit or driver licence number. If you don’t have a licence but have a vehicle registered in your name, the customer number is recorded on your registration renewal notice.

If you don’t have a Victorian licence or VicRoads customer number, you must visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre and provide full evidence of identity documents. 

For companies

The VicRoads customer number of your company is on your company’s myVicRoads account, or any registration renewal notice issued for vehicles registered in your company’s name.

If your company doesn’t have a VicRoads customer number, you must visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre and provide full evidence of identity documents for your company.

The personal details of the individual acting on behalf of your company will also need to be recorded on the transfer form.

Get a roadworthy certificate 

You’ll need an original roadworthy certificate issued not more than 30 days before the date of sale. Some vehicles and transfer types don’t need a roadworthy, visit vehicle exemptions for more information.   


Before you buy the vehicle

You’ll need to check that the person selling the vehicle is the registered operator and has the right to transfer the vehicle. Ask for photo identification and the vehicle’s certificate of registration/registration renewal, or confirm that the vehicle is recorded in the seller’s myVicRoads account.

Check that the vehicle identification number (VIN) or chassis number on the physical vehicle matches the certificate of registration, registration renewal or registration check  details. The VIN/chassis number is stamped on the vehicle.

When you buy the vehicle

We recommend that you and the seller write a receipt as proof of purchase and ownership, and keep a copy (photo) for your records. VicRoads has a receipt template [PDF 513 Kb] that you can use to ensure you’ve recorded all the information you need, but if you don’t want to use this template then make sure your receipt includes:

  • date and time of sale
  • your name and address
  • the seller’s name, address and signature
  • the vehicle’s registration number, VIN or chassis number, make and model.

Complete the transfer form with the seller

Either you or the seller must download the vehicle transfer form [PDF 678 Kb] or get one from a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. To complete the form:

  1. Check that the seller has completed the ‘seller details’ section correctly.
    a. If the seller is selling the vehicle on behalf of a company, their personal details must be recorded in the appropriate ‘Representative’ section of the transfer form.
  2. Complete the ‘buyer details’ section, including your VicRoads licence/customer number.
    a. If you are buying the vehicle on behalf of a company, your personal details must be recorded in the appropriate ‘Representative’ section of the transfer form.
    b. If you intend for a representative to lodge the transfer on your behalf, ensure that their details are recorded in the ‘Representative’ section of the vehicle transfer form
  3. Use the transfer fee calculator to determine the transfer fee and motor vehicle duty payable.
  4. Ensure both you and the seller sign the completed transfer form.
  5. Take a photo or photocopy of the form once completed to make sure you have proof of transfer.

Make sure that all the details on the transfer form are complete and correct. Otherwise the transfer will not be processed.

Within 14 days of buying the vehicle, you need to submit:

By either:

GPO Box 1644
Melbourne VIC 3001

If someone is lodging the transfer with VicRoads on your behalf, ensure that their details are recorded in the ‘Representative’ fields on the vehicle transfer form and that they bring their evidence of identity to VicRoads.

Sellers can now notify VicRoads of the transfer online through their myVicRoads account. 

When the seller notifies VicRoads, the vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, caravan or trailer) will be transferred into your name – so make sure you’ve got the roadworthy certificate and fees ready at the time of transfer, otherwise the registration may be suspended if you fail to complete the transfer. This process does not replace the transfer form.

Buyers can’t complete transfers online just yet, but we’re working on it!

Buying from a car dealer

When you buy a vehicle from a car dealer, it is the dealer’s responsibility to complete the steps to transfer the vehicle into your name. All you need to do is pay the applicable transfer fee and motor vehicle duty to the dealer and sign the vehicle transfer form. Make sure you keep a copy of the completed transfer form, roadworthy certificate and contract of sale.

Interstate vehicle purchases 

Visit the interstate transfers page to find information on:

  • Buying a Victorian vehicle when living interstate 
  • Buying an interstate vehicle when living in Victoria
  • Buying a Victorian vehicle as an interstate or overseas licenced driver

Other types of transfers

Was this page helpful?


Please tell us why (but don't leave your personal details here - message us if you need help or have questions).

Are you looking for...