Register an interstate vehicle

If you live in Victoria and have a vehicle registered in another state, you need to change the vehicle's registration to a Victorian one.

Here's how to do it.

Before your appointment you’ll need:

  • the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and engine number of your vehicle
  • the make, model and registration number of your vehicle
  • your current Victorian licence or learner permit number.

How do I make an appointment?

*A card payment fee applies
** All VicRoads Customer Service Centre's accept cash except for:

Is there a booking fee?

Yes, when booking, you’ll need to pay an appointment fee. Please note: concessions can’t be used.

Does my vehicle need an inspection?

You’ll need one if:

  • the registration is cancelled or expired by more than three months
  • your vehicle details don’t match the information in the national vehicles database
  • your vehicle is on the Victorian or an interstate Written Off Vehicles Register
  • you don’t have number plates on.

You won’t need one if:

  • details haven’t changed
  • it’s still registered interstate, and
  • number plates are still on.

You’ll still need to pay an appointment fee even if you don’t need an inspection. 

Can I change my appointment?

Changes can only be made if you’re the appointment holder.

You can change your appointment if you give us more than 24 hours notice. 

If you give us less than 24 hours notice, you’ll lose your appointment and need to pay for a new one.

When you book your appointment, we’ll let you know if you need a Roadworthy Certificate

You’ll need one if:

  • You’ve bought your vehicle interstate, and
    • the rego is cancelled or expired more than three months, or
    • it is being registered into a new name

You won’t need one if:

  • the interstate vehicle registration is still current and not expired by more than three months, and
  • is going into the same name in Victoria.

You can get a RWC from a Roadworthy tester location.

You’ll need:

Evidence of your Victorian garage address

You’ll need one of the following:

  • A Victorian home or business address
  • A postal address (if it’s different from your home or business)
  • An interstate or overseas home or business address and a document as evidence that links you to the Victorian garage address such as a rates or utility bill
  • an RMB (Road side mailbox) or RSD (Road side delivery) if the home or business isn’t recognised by a street or road name

How much is it?

Use our fee calculator (located on this page) to find out how much it costs to register your vehicle.

Here’s what you pay for:

  • standard registration charge
  • Transport Accident Commission charge
  • number plate fee
  • motor vehicle duty fee*

*You don’t have to pay the motor vehicle duty if your vehicle was previously registered in your name.

Bring the items listed in step three as well as payment for registration (cash, VISA or Mastercard*, EFTPOS, cheque or cash**).

* A card payment fee applies.

** All VicRoads Customer Service Centre's accept cash except for:

What if I’m running late?

VicRoads Customer Service Centres will try their best to accommodate late arrivals but there is no guarantee. If you’re running late, you may be required to transfer your appointment to another time and pay another fee.

What if I have an interstate licence?

If you’ve been living in Victoria for more than three months, you’ll need to change your interstate licence over to a Victorian one. Go to New to Victoria to find out more.

What do I do with my interstate number plates?

When you register your vehicle in Victoria, you can give us your interstate number plates. We’ll give you a receipt for the plates when they’re returned. You can keep interstate custom plates as long as you present them at VicRoads.

About cancellations and refunds

It’s a good idea to check the refund policy with the jurisdiction your vehicle is registered in, as VicRoads can’t cancel or refund your interstate registration.

If your vehicle has a compliance plate dated January 2011 or after, you’ll need Electronic Stability Control (ESC) for:

  • all passenger cars
  • off-road passenger vehicles, and
  • forward-control passenger vehicles e.g. passenger vans.

How do I find it? 

Check your vehicle manufacturer information if you can’t find the compliance or identification plate.

What if my vehicle doesn’t have it?

Having ESC helps drivers control their car when it skids, swerves or when road conditions are bad. If your vehicle needs ESC but doesn’t have it and it’s not exempt, you won’t be able to register it in Victoria.

Can I get an exemption?

You’ll be exempt from having ESC fitted if it’s been registered interstate for more than 12 months. VicRoads will check the national vehicle register to find out. 
If we can’t confirm this, we’ll ask you to bring additional documents as proof that your vehicle’s been registered interstate for more than 12 months.

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...