Sell and transfer a registered vehicle

When you sell or give as a gift a Victorian registered vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle or trailer), the buyer must notify VicRoads of the vehicle transfer within 14 days of taking possession of the vehicle.

If you’re selling a vehicle privately you’ll need: 

Watch this video to find out the steps required to sell a registered vehicle:

The vehicle transfer form [PDF 678 Kb] has been created as a guide to assist you through your vehicle sale. This form is suitable for the transfer of cars, trucks, motorcycles, caravans and trailers.

VicRoads recommends that you refer to the pre-transfer checklist on the form and complete all the steps to ensure your transfer goes smoothly.

Proof of your right to transfer

As the current registered operator of the vehicle, you’ll need to show the buyer some photo identification and that you have the right to transfer the registration.

You’ll need a copy of the vehicle’s registration certificate/renewal, or if you have a myVicRoads account you can show that the vehicle is recorded in your account.

Additionally, if your vehicle is under finance, ensure that this has been paid out in full prior to transfer.

Decide if you want to keep your custom plates

If you have custom number plates and want to keep them, you’ll need to notify VicRoads, cancel the vehicle registration and remove the custom plates.

If you would like to sell the vehicle registered, you'll need to visit VicRoads, pay the fee for VicRoads to issue new number plates, and attach them to the vehicle before you complete the sale.

If you transfer the vehicle with your custom number plates attached, the registration number rights to the custom plates will be transferred to the buyer.

Get a roadworthy certificate 

You’ll need an original roadworthy certificate issued within 30 days before the date of sale. Some vehicles and transfer types don’t need a roadworthy, visit vehicle exemptions for more information.  

Before you complete the sale

Show the buyer some photo identification and proof of your right to transfer (as per Step 2).

Check the buyer’s identity and ensure that the buyer has a Victorian licence/VicRoads customer number. If the buyer is going to keep the car registered in Victoria and doesn’t have a VicRoads customer number, they will need to visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre with evidence of identity documents to get their customer number.

If you sell your vehicle to an interstate buyer who doesn’t have a VicRoads customer number, we recommend that you sell the vehicle unregistered

When you sell the vehicle

VicRoads recommends that you and the buyer write a receipt as proof of purchase and ownership, and keep a copy (photo) for your records.

VicRoads has a receipt template [513 Kb] that you can use to ensure you’ve recorded all the information you need, but if you don’t want to use this template then make sure your receipt includes:

  • date and time of sale
  • your name and address
  • the buyer’s name, address and signature 
  • the vehicle’s registration number, VIN or chassis number, make and model.

Either you or the buyer must download the vehicle transfer form [PDF 678 Kb] or get one from a VicRoads Customer Service Centre. To complete the form:

  1. Complete the ‘seller details’ section, including your VicRoads licence/customer number
    a.  If you are selling the vehicle on behalf of a company, your personal details must be recorded in the appropriate ‘Representative’ section of the transfer form.
    b. If you intend for a representative to lodge the transfer on your behalf, ensure that their details are recorded in the appropriate ‘Representative’ section of the vehicle transfer form
  2. Check that the buyer has completed the ‘buyer details’ section correctly
  3. Ensure both you and the buyer sign the completed transfer form
  4. Take a photo or photocopy of the form once completed to make sure you have proof of transfer.

Make sure that all the details on the transfer form are complete and correct. Otherwise the transfer will not be processed.

The buyer must submit the transfer paperwork and payment within 14 days. If the buyer fails to submit the transfer, you may be liable for any traffic offences that the buyer may incur.

Should this occur, visit a VicRoads Customer Service Centre with your copy of the completed vehicle transfer form and valid evidence of identity to initiate the transfer yourself.

Remember to update your toll operator, roadside assistance and insurance accounts.

Selling to a car dealer

When you sell a vehicle to car dealer, it is the dealer’s responsibility to complete the steps to transfer the vehicle out of your name. All you need to do is sign the vehicle transfer form and keep a copy as proof of transfer.

Interstate vehicle sales 

Visit the interstate transfers page to find information on:

  • Selling a Victorian vehicle to an interstate buyer
  • Selling a Victorian vehicle to an overseas licenced driver 

Other types of transfers

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...