Sell an unregistered vehicle

When selling an unregistered vehicle, a Certificate of Roadworthiness is not required.

You need to:

Provide proof of purchase to the buyer

Give the buyer a receipt (either hand written or typed) as proof of purchase and ownership of the vehicle. The receipt should be dated and include:

An application for transfer of registration form cannot be used as a form of receipt for the buyer. This form is used when selling a registered vehicle with number plates. 

Was this page helpful?

Take a moment to tell us why. If you'd like a response to your feedback, please message us instead.


Are you looking for...